Knowledge and Practice of Physicians About Vitamin B12 deficiency among Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus patients in Buraidah, Saudi Arabia
Keywords:Primary Care, B12 Screening, B12 Supplementation, Diabetics, Saudi Arabia
To assess knowledge and practice of physicians regarding Vitamin B12 Screening among Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and assess knowledge of physicians about recent American diabetic association (ADA) guidelines updates.
A cross sectional study was conducted at Primary Health Care (PHC) centers in Buraidah, Qassim from January to April 2022. Data was collected using a structured questionnaire which was based on ADA guidelines among all physicians of PHCs. Statistical package for social sciences (SPSS) version 23.0 was used for analysis. Frequencies and percentages were calculated for categorical variables and means with standard deviations were calculated for continuous variables.
About 135 (72.2%) physicians would test T2DM patients who are on metformin for Vitamin B12, and only 65 (34.8) would test them annually. Early signs of Diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN) are pain, burning sensation, tangling sensation, numbness and loss of protective sensation (LOPS). Only 23 (12.3%) of them knew the all five symptoms. Forty-five (45.5%) of participants would not treat DPN with B12 supplementation. Only (57.2%) order Vit B12 testing for DM2 who are on metformin, and (49.2%), (29.4%) would order them if the patient has neuropathy and on annual basis respectively. Majority of physicians (70.6%) give Vit B12 supplements as treatment of DPN.
There is poor knowledge and practices related to B12 deficiency among primary care physicians. This calls for training and educating primary care physicians regarding B12 deficiency screening, neuropathy and their management. There is also need for providing sufficient resources in order to ensure B12 screening in high risk diabetic patients.
- Lam DW, LeRoith D. The worldwide diabetes epidemic. Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Obesity. 2012;19(2):93-96. DOI: 10.1097/med.0b013e328350583a.
- Al Dawish MA, Robert AA, Braham R, Al Hayek AA, Al Saeed A, Ahmed RA, et al. Diabetes Mellitus in Saudi Arabia: A Review of the Recent Literature. Curr Diabetes Rev. 2016;12(4):359-368. doi: 10.2174/1573399811666150724095130.
- Damião CP, Rodrigues AO, Pinheiro MF, Cruz Filho RA, Cardoso GP, Taboada GF, Lima GA. Prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency in type 2 diabetic patients using metformin: a cross-sectional study. Sao Paulo Medical Journal. 2016;134(3):473-9. DOI: 10.1590/1516-3180.2015.01382111.
- Sanchez H, Masferrer D, Lera L, Arancibia E, Angel B, Albala C. Vitamin B12 deficiency associated with high doses od metformin in older people diabetic. Nutricion hospitalaria. 2014 Jun 1;29(6):1394-400. DOI: 10.3305/nh.2014.29.6.7405.
- Ko SH, Ahn YB, Song KH, Han KD, Park YM, Kim HS. Association of vitamin B12 deficiency and metformin use in patients with type 2 diabetes. J Korean Med Sci. 2014;29:965–72.
- Ko SH, Ko SH, Ahn YB, et al. Association of vitamin B12 deficiency and metformin use in patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Korean Medical Science. 2014;29(7):965-972. DOI: 10.3346/jkms.2014.29.7.965.
- Aroda VR, Edelstein SL, Goldberg RB, Knowler WC, Marcovina SM, Orchard TJ, et al. Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Long-term Metformin Use and Vitamin B12 Deficiency in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016;101(4):1754-61. doi: 10.1210/jc.2015-3754. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26900641/
- Alharbi TJ, Tourkmani AM, Abdelhay O, Alkhashan HI, Al-Asmari AK, Bin Rsheed AM, et al. The association of metformin use with vitamin B12 deficiency and peripheral neuropathy in Saudi individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus. PLoS One. 2018;13(10):e0204420. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0204420.
- Liu Q, Li S, Quan H, Li J. Vitamin B12 status in metformin treated patients: systematic review. Plos one. 2014;9(6):e100379. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0100379. http://europepmc.org/article/MED/24959880
- Kancherla V, Elliott JL Jr, Patel BB, Holland NW, Johnson TM, Khakharia A, et al. Long-term Metformin Therapy and Monitoring for Vitamin B12 Deficiency Among Older Veterans. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65(5):1061-1066. doi: 10.1111/jgs.14761. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28182265/
- Alshammari AN, Iqbal R, Baksh IP. Vitamin B12 deficiency and the knowledge and practice of physicians regarding screening for vitamin B12 deficiency among type 2 diabetic patients on metformin in selected hospitals in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2019;8(7):2306-2311. DOI: 10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_416_19.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Journal of Contemporary Medical Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.