Investigating the healing effect of the hydroalcoholic extract of pomegranate seed (Punica granatum) on the full thickness wound in rabbit
Objective: This research designed to investigate the wound healing process with pomegranate hydroalcoholic seed extract (Punica granatum) in comparison with no-treatment, betamethasone, phenytoin and eucerin in rabbits.
Methods: The positive group including groups that received phenytoin cream (1%) and topical eucerin, respectively, twice a day to complete wound healing. negative Control group did not obtain any treatment. Treatment groups were received cream of PSE (2, 5,7,10 w/w) in eucerin and 75% w/w as purified extract twice daily. In order to measure the percentage of wound healing, the zone of the wound was evaluated daily. Histological studies were done on the 7th and 15th days of treatment. Next, hydroxyproline content of wounds healed and tensile strength of wound tissue samples were measured.
Results: The results demonstrated between PSE treatment groups and eucerin animals were statistically significant aadifferences (P<0.05) in most of the days reviewed. Treatment of Rabbits with 10% PSE had the best results (complete wound recovery in 12 days). Also, this treatment showed higher hydroxyproline content and higher tissue strength.
Conclusion: This research reveals that the extract of 10% PSE administrated topically has the proper potential to induce wound recovery in the wound model of rabbits. In addition, 10% PSE accelerates the healing of the wound. Further study needs to clarify the results of this research.
2. Rodero MP, Khosrotehrani K. Skin wound healing modulation by macrophages. International journal of clinical and experimental pathology. 2010;3(7):643.
3. Dorsettâ€Martin WA. Rat models of skin wound healing: a review. Wound Repair and Regeneration. 2004;12(6):591-9.
4. Wilgus TA. Immune cells in the healing skin wound: influential players at each stage of repair. Pharmacological research. 2008;58(2):112-6.
5. Martin C, Muir I. The role of lymphocytes in wound healing. British journal of plastic surgery. 1990;43(6):655-62.
6. Peterson JM, Barbul A, Breslin RJ, Wasserkrug HL, Efron G. Significance of T-lymphocytes in wound healing. Surgery. 1987;102(2):300-5.
7. Koh TJ, DiPietro LA. Inflammation and wound healing: the role of the macrophage. Expert reviews in molecular medicine. 2011;13.
8. Wolberg AS. Thrombin generation and fibrin clot structure. Blood reviews. 2007;21(3):131-42.
9. Hertle MD, Kubler M-D, Leigh IM, Watt F. Aberrant integrin expression during epidermal wound healing and in psoriatic epidermis. The Journal of clinical investigation. 1992;89(6):1892-901.
10. Waris TH, Kaarela OI, Raatikainen TK, Teerikangas HE, Heikkinen ES. Microvascular flaps from the lateral arm and radial forearm for the repair of defects of the Achilles tendon region. Scandinavian journal of plastic and reconstructive surgery and hand surgery. 1991;25(1):87-9.
11. Lee PC, Salyapongse AN, Bragdon GA, Shears LL, Watkins SC, Edington HD, et al. Impaired wound healing and angiogenesis in eNOS-deficient mice. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 1999;277(4):H1600-H8.
12. Dietze G, Wicklmayr M. Pharmaceutical composition and method of stimulating blood circulation and wound healing. Google Patents; 1979.
13. Schindl A, Schindl M, SchÃ¶n H, Knobler R, Havelec L, Schindl L. Low-intensity laser irradiation improves skin circulation in patients with diabetic microangiopathy. Diabetes care. 1998;21(4):580-4.
14. Modarressi A, Pietramaggiori G, Godbout C, Vigato E, Pittet B, Hinz B. Hypoxia impairs skin myofibroblast differentiation and function. Journal of investigative dermatology. 2010;130(12):2818-27.
15. Hawrylyshyn KM. Nicotinamide Riboside Delivery Generates NAD+ Reserves to Protect Vascular Cells Against Oxidative Damage. 2015.
16. Clark RA. Regulation of fibroplasia in cutaneous wound repair. The American journal of the medical sciences. 1993;306(1):42-8.
17. Lewis DA, Travers JB, Somani A-K, Spandau DF. The IGF-1/IGF-1R signaling axis in the skin: a new role for the dermis in aging-associated skin cancer. Oncogene. 2010;29(10):1475-85.
18. Moulin V. Growth factors in skin wound healing. European journal of cell biology. 1995;68(1):1-7.
19. Hehenberger K, Brismar K, Lind F, Kratz G. Doseâ€dependent hyperbaric oxygen stimulation of human fibroblast proliferation. Wound Repair and Regeneration. 1997;5(2):147-50.
20. Jimenez S, Freundlich B, Rosenbloom J. Selective inhibition of human diploid fibroblast collagen synthesis by interferons. The Journal of clinical investigation. 1984;74(3):1112-6.
21. Hung CF, Rohani MG, Lee S-s, Chen P, Schnapp LM. Role of IGF-1 pathway in lung fibroblast activation. Respiratory research. 2013;14(1):102.
22. Delavary BM, van der Veer WM, van Egmond M, Niessen FB, Beelen RH. Macrophages in skin injury and repair. Immunobiology. 2011;216(7):753-62.
23. Scheid A, Wenger R, Christina H, Camenisch I, Ferenc A, Stauffer U, et al. Hypoxia-regulated gene expression in fetal wound regeneration and adult wound repair. Pediatric surgery international. 2000;16(4):232-6.
24. Mortazavi R, Chitte S, Philip A. 154 Regulation of TGFâ€Î² and its Signaling Components by Oxygen Tension and Steroids in Skin Cells. Wound Repair and Regeneration. 2005;13(2):A28-A48.
25. Toy L. Matrix metalloproteinases: their function in tissue repair. Journal of wound care. 2005;14(1):20-2.
26. Rousselle P, Montmasson M, Garnier C. Extracellular matrix contribution to skin wound re-epithelialization. Matrix Biology. 2019;75:12-26.
27. KÃ¤hÃ¤ri VM, Saarialhoâ€Kere U. Matrix metalloproteinases in skin. Experimental dermatology. 1997;6(5):199-213.
28. RittiÃ© L. Cellular mechanisms of skin repair in humans and other mammals. Journal of cell communication and signaling. 2016;10(2):103-20.
29. Huan Y, Peng K-j, Wang Q-l, Gu Z-y, Lu Y-q, Jun Z, et al. Effect of pomegranate peel polyphenol gel on cutaneous wound healing in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Chinese medical journal. 2013;126(9):1700-6.
30. Mo J, Panichayupakaranant P, Kaewnopparat N, Nitiruangjaras A, Reanmongkol W. Wound healing activities of standardized pomegranate rind extract and its major antioxidant ellagic acid in rat dermal wounds. Journal of natural medicines. 2014;68(2):377-86.
31. Holland D, Hatib K, Bar-Yaâ€™akov I. Pomegranate: botany, horticulture, breeding. Horticultural reviews. 2009;35(2):127-91.
32. Chandra R, Babu KD, Jadhav VT, Jaime A, Silva T. Origin, history and domestication of pomegranate. Fruit, Vegetable and Cereal Science and Biotechnology. 2010;2:1-6.
33. Bedigian D. Pomegranates. Ancient Roots to Modern Medicine. Medicinal and Aromatic Plantsâ€”Industrial Profiles 43. Economic Botany. 2007;61(1):107-8.
34. Bhatia A, Prakash S. Topical phenytoin for wound healing. Dermatology Online Journal. 2004;10(1).
35. Park JE, Abrams MJ, Efron PA, Barbul A. Excessive nitric oxide impairs wound collagen accumulation. Journal of Surgical Research. 2013;183(1):487-92.
36. Portera CA, Love EJ, Memore L, Zhang L, Mueller A, Browder W, et al. Effect of macrophage stimulation on collagen biosynthesis in the healing wound. The American Surgeon. 1997;63(2):125-31.
37. Ã…gren M, Jorgensen I, Andersen M, Viljanto J, Gottrup P. Matrix metalloproteinase 9 level predicts optimal collagen deposition during early wound repair in humans. British journal of surgery. 1998;85(1):68-71.
38. Spelman K, Burns J, Nichols D, Winters N, Ottersberg S, Tenborg M. Modulation of cytokine expression by traditional medicines: a review of herbal immunomodulators. Alternative medicine review. 2006;11(2):128.
39. De Jesus NZT, FalcÃ£o HdS, Gomes IF, Leite TJdA, Lima GRdM, Barbosa-Filho JM, et al. Tannins, peptic ulcers and related mechanisms. International journal of molecular sciences. 2012;13(3):3203-28.
40. Jurenka J. Therapeutic applications of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.): a review. Alternative medicine review. 2008;13(2).
41. Yoshimura M, Watanabe Y, Kasai K, Yamakoshi J, Koga T. Inhibitory effect of an ellagic acid-rich pomegranate extract on tyrosinase activity and ultraviolet-induced pigmentation. Bioscience, biotechnology, and biochemistry. 2005;69(12):2368-73.
42. Patwardhan B. Bridging Ayurveda with evidence-based scientific approaches in medicine. The EPMA journal. 2014;5(1):19.
43. Karimi A, Majlesi M, Rafieian-Kopaei M. Herbal versus synthetic drugs; beliefs and facts. Journal of nephropharmacology. 2015;4(1):27-30.
44. Kim HG, Kim JM, Han JM, Lee JS, Choi MK, Lee DS, et al. Chunggan extract, a traditional herbal formula, ameliorated alcohol-induced hepatic injury in rat model. World journal of gastroenterology. 2014;20(42):15703-14.
45. Afaq F, Saleem M, Krueger CG, Reed JD, Mukhtar H. Anthocyanin- and hydrolyzable tannin-rich pomegranate fruit extract modulates MAPK and NF-kappaB pathways and inhibits skin tumorigenesis in CD-1 mice. International journal of cancer. 2005;113(3):423-33.
46. Wu Y, Zhu CP, Zhang Y, Li Y, Sun JR. Immunomodulatory and antioxidant effects of pomegranate peel polysaccharides on immunosuppressed mice. International journal of biological macromolecules. 2019;137:504-11.