Correlation between Sphenoclivus angle and Gnathic angle with age and gender in Iranian population using CT-Scan
Keywords:Anthropometry, Sphenoclivus angle, Cranial base angle, Gnathic angle, Cephalometric measurements
Objectives: The aim of this study was to assess whether is a reliable correlation between the cranial and gnathic angulations in the Iranian population.
Methods: In a cross-sectional study, 140 patients of Tehran University of Medical Sciences hospitals (70 males and 70 females with an age range of 18-60 years) were selected. Sphenoclivus (cranial base) and gnathic angles were calculated for each case. Then, the data were analyzed using SPSS version 22.
Results: Statistical analysis showed a relationship between gnathic angle and female (P < 0.05), but no positive relationship was seen between sphenoclivus angle and gender. There was a significant relationship between sphenoclivus angle and age among men. No significant relationship was found between the gnathic and sphenoclivus angles.
Conclusion: Sphenoclivus angle has the closest link with age in males. The gnathic angle has also a positive relationship with females. Our findings suggest an independent growth pattern between the sphenoclivus angle and the gnathic angle.
2. Zolbin M, Hassanzadeh G, Mokhtari T, Arabkheradmand A, Hassanzadeh S. Anthropometric studies of nasal parameters of Qazvin Residents, Iran. MOJ Anat Physiol. 2015;1(1):00002.
3. Ebrahimi B, Madadi S, Noori L, Navid S, Darvishi M, Alizamir T. The stature estimation from studentsâ€™ forearm and hand length in Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Iran. Journal of Contemporary Medical Sciences. 2020;6(5).
4. Navaei F, Ghaffari N, Mojaverrostami S, Dodongeh M, Nemati M, Hassanzadeh G. Stature estimation from facial measurements in medical students of Tehran university of Medical Sciences: an Iranian population. Iraq Medical Journal. 2018;2(3):68-71.
5. Dodangheh M, Mokhtari T, Mojaverrostami S, Nemati M, Zarbakhsh S, Arabkheradmand A, et al. Anthropometric Study of the Facial Index in the Population of Medical Students in Tehran University of Medical Sciences. GMJ Medicine. 2018;2(1):51-7.
6. Ebrahimi B, Nemati M, Dodangeh M, Hassanzadeh G. Stature estimation from cranial indices in students of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Scientific Journal of Forensic Medicine. 2021;26(4):0-.
7. Hassanzadeh S, Alemohammad ZB, Mokhtari T, Arabalidoosti F, Rezaei F. Correlation between craniofacial parameters and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in Iranian population. Iraq Medical Journal. 2019;3(2).
8. Olszewski R, Frison L, Schoenarts N, Khonsari R, Odri G, Zech F, et al. Reproducibility of three-dimensional posterior cranial base angles using low-dose computed tomography. Clinical oral investigations. 2017;21(8):2407-14.
9. Darkwah WK, Kadri A, Adormaa BB, Aidoo G. Cephalometric study of the relationship between facial morphology and ethnicity. Translational Research in Anatomy. 2018;12:20-4.
10. Mantini S, Ripani M. Modern morphometry: new perspectives in physical anthropology. New biotechnology. 2009;25(5):325-30.
11. Mohamadi Y, Mousavi M, Pakzad R, Hassanzadeh G. Anthropometric parameters for access to sella turcica through the nostril. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2016;27(6):e573-e5.
12. Kaestle FA, Horsburgh KA. Ancient DNA in anthropology: methods, applications, and ethics. American Journal of Physical Anthropology: The Official Publication of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists. 2002;119(S35):92-130.
13. CamcÄ± H, Salmanpour F. Cephalometric Evaluation of Anterior Cranial Base Slope in Patients with Skeletal Class I Malocclusion with Low or High SNA and SNB Angles. Turkish Journal of Orthodontics. 2020;33(3):171.
14. Ghaffari N, Ebrahimi B, Nazmara Z, Nemati M, Dodangeh M, Alizamir T. Assessment of Gender Dimorphism Using Cephalometry in Iranian Population. Iraq Medical Journal. 2020;4(4).
15. Cossio L, LÃ³pez J, Rueda ZV, Botero-Mariaca P. Morphological configuration of the cranial base among children aged 8 to 12 years. BMC Research notes. 2016;9(1):309.
16. Monirifard M, Sadeghian S, Afshari Z, Rafiei E, Sichani AV. Relationship between cephalometric cranial base and anterior-posterior features in an Iranian population. Dental Research Journal. 2020;17(1):60.
17. Netto DS, Nascimento SRR, Ruiz CR. Metric analysis of basal sphenoid angle in adult human skulls. Einstein (SÃ£o Paulo). 2014;12(3):314-7.
18. Gupta PP, Dhok AM, Shaikh ST, Patil AS, Gupta D, Jagdhane NN. Computed tomography evaluation of craniovertebral junction in asymptomatic central rural Indian population. Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice. 2020;11(3):442.
19. Lieberman DE, Ross CF, Ravosa MJ. The primate cranial base: ontogeny, function, and integration. American Journal of Physical Anthropology: The Official Publication of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists. 2000;113(S31):117-69.
20. Kasai K, Moro T, Kanazawa E, Iwasawa T. Relationship between cranial base and maxillofacial morphology. The European Journal of Orthodontics. 1995;17(5):403-10.
21. Panainte I, Suciu V, MÃ¡rtha K-I. Correlation between cranial base morphology and various types of skeletal anomalies. Journal of Interdisciplinary Medicine. 2017;2(s1):57-61.
22. Steinberg B, Fraser B. The cranial base in obstructive sleep apnea. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery. 1995;53(10):1150-4.
23. KaragÃ¶z F, Izgi N, Sencer SK. Morphometric measurements of the cranium in patients with Chiari type I malformation and comparison with the normal population. Acta neurochirurgica. 2002;144(2):165-71.
24. Adam A. Skull radiograph measurements of normals and patients with basilar impression; use of Landzert's angle. Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy. 1987;9(3):225-9.
25. Royo-Salvador M. Platybasia, basilar groove, odontoid process and kinking of the brainstem: a common etiology with idiopathic syringomyelia, scoliosis and Chiari malformations. Revista de neurologia. 1996;24(134):1241-50.
26. Vuorinen P, Meurman OH. The basal angle in the clinical diagnosis of otosclerosis. Acta oto-laryngologica. 1962;54(1-6):176-80.
27. Botelho RV, Ferreira EDZ. Angular craniometry in craniocervical junction malformation. Neurosurgical review. 2013;36(4):603-10.
28. Bhattacharya A, Bhatia A, Patel D, Mehta N, Parekh H, Trivedi R. Evaluation of relationship between cranial base angle and maxillofacial morphology in Indian population: A cephalometric study. Journal of orthodontic science. 2014;3(3):74.